This month, we’re taking a moment to honor the O.G. of beer cocktails – the Michelada. Some call it a beer with benefits while others consider it a cousin of the Bloody Mary, but in its simplest form, the Michelada is cold Mexican lager with lime, ice and sweet and savory spices.
Throughout Mexico, Micheladas vary wildly in style and flavor; occasionally, they’re even mixed with tomato or Clamato juice. This tried-and-true recipe brings savory and smoky elements to the drink but remains refreshing. Fresh lime juice and a spiced rim are essential in order to achieve the perfect balance and get the full experience. You can find Maggi liquid seasoning, a dark-colored, vegetable protein-based sauce, at most international markets.
Serves | 1 |
Michelada Mix (Yields approximately 3 oz)
People are also reading…
- 1 oz Tabasco chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 oz Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ oz Maggi liquid seasoning (You can find this dark-colored, vegetable protein-based sauce at most international markets)
- ½ oz Fee Brothers Celery Bitters
Simple Syrup (Yields approximately 8 oz)
- 8 oz granulated sugar
- 8 oz hot water
- ¼ cup salt
- ¹⁄₈ cup granulated sugar
- ¹⁄₈ cup gochugaru (Korean chile flakes)
- ¾ oz freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more to rim glass
Rim Spice (recipe follows)
- ¾ oz Michelada mix (recipe follows)
- ¼ oz simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 12 oz Mexican-style lager (such as Modelo Especial or Pacífico)
| Preparation – Michelada mix | In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to one month.
| Preparation – Simple Syrup | In a heatproof bowl, add all ingredients; stir until sugar has dissolved completely. Transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to one week.
| Preparation – Rim Spice | In a bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients. Set aside.
| Preparation – Michelada | Rim a pint glass with lime juice and then dust with rim spice. Add Michelada mix, lime juice and simple syrup to glass. Fill glass with lager; top with ice. Stir with a spoon until well mixed. Enjoy.