Apple-Cinnamon Fried Ravioli
Serves | 6 |
- 1½ lbs Jonagold or other crisp green apples
- 1 cup Riesling
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup mascarpone
- ¼ cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 recipe basic pasta dough, flavored with the cinnamon variation
| Preparation | Finely dice apples, and sauté over high heat for 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with Riesling. Add salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Reduce to a syrup. Remove from heat and cool completely. Fold in mascarpone and walnuts. Set aside.
Prepare the cinnamon pasta dough through the sheeting stage, finishing on the No. 2 setting. | 1 | Using a ravioli mold,* cut 2 pasta sheets so there's a 1-inch overhang of dough by placing the mold facedown on each sheet and cutting around it. Drape one sheet of dough on the mold. | 2 | Press the dough gently into the wells, and | 3 | fill each well with the apple mixture. Drape the second sheet of pasta over the top, pressing gently to eliminate air around the filling. | 4 | Seal the edges, putting pressure on the top of the form to complete the sealing process and separate the ravioli.
| 5 | Place on a bed of semolina on a plastic-wrapped and parchment-lined tray and allow to dry for 15 to 30 minutes. If making ahead, refrigerate for up to 3 days on the tray, or freeze in tightly sealed plastic bags for up to 1 month.
When ready to cook, fry ravioli in 350°F oil for 3 to 5 minutes. They will float when finished. Ravioli may also be boiled for 2 minutes and finished in a pan with brown butter. Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
Flavored Pastas and Flavored Fillings
Note: Doughs flavored with chunkier additives like truffle shavings or sunflower seeds aren't good choices for filled pastas. The dough will tear when rolled thin.
- Fill black pepper dough with braised lamb shoulder, beef short ribs or pork belly.
- Pair lemon-pistachio pasta with seafood or chicken cooked with plenty of fresh herbs. Also try it with a goat cheese filling.
- Red wine pasta works well with eggplant, mushrooms, pancetta, crispy prosciutto or coppa.
- The earthiness of squid ink pasta works well with lobster filling in large ravioli.
*NOTE: *Ravioli molds are available at specialty stores such as J. Viviano & Sons Inc. and Di Gregorio's Italian Market.