This shiso pesto here balances well with the richness of the ricotta and mozzarella on the pizza. Red and green shiso leaves work equally well for this recipe; green will result in a sweeter pesto, while red will have more of an astringent bite.
Shrimp and Charred Scallion Pizza with Shiso Leaf Pesto
Yields | one 12-inch pizza |
Serves | 4 |
- 2 cups shiso leaves, packed, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cashews, lightly toasted
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 to 3 tsp sambal oelek
- ²⁄₃ to ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
People are also reading…
- 1 batch fresh pizza dough
- 8 to 10 scallions, trimmed at both ends, sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 to 9 oz, 16-20 size raw shrimp, cleaned, shells removed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more to drizzle
- 4 oz whole milk ricotta, whisked with 1 Tbsp milk to loosen
- 1⁄₃ cup shiso pesto, recipe follows
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
| Preparation | Add shiso leaves, cashews, garlic, lemon juice and sambal oelek to the bowl of a food processor; pulse in short bursts until broken down. Turn motor on, and slowly stream in 2/3 cup olive oil; add more as needed until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste, and set aside.
Place a pizza stone in oven, and preheat to 500˚F. Line a rimless sheet pan with parchment; stretch out dough on prepared pan to make a 12-inch pizza. While dough is resting, heat a large cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add scallions to pan, and let cook for 2 minutes to char; stir to flip, and cook 1 minute more; transfer to plate. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; once heated, add shrimp to pan, season with salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, 4 minutes.
Spread ricotta mixture evenly over pizza crust; dollop pesto on top, spreading lightly. Layer shrimp and scallions; scatter torn mozzarella on top. Drizzle with olive oil, and season again with salt and pepper to taste. Carefully slide pizza with parchment on top of hot pizza stone; bake for 10 minutes, sliding parchment paper out from under crust halfway through baking.
| To Serve | Slide pizza out of oven onto cutting board; let cool just slightly, then use a chef’s knife to slice into pieces.