First-Annual Battle of the Slices
- When: Thu., Aug. 16, 7 to 10pm, VIP early entry 6pm
- Where: The Boulevard, 1 The Boulevard, Richmond Heights, Missouri
- Price: $25 general admission, $35 VIP
- Tickets: purchase online here
- More Info: y98.com/battle
In a city known for its love of beer, baseball and the debate over cheeses and crusts, we're hosting the first-annual Battle of the Slices! Following the legacy of great pizza institutions and welcoming the new kids on our blocks, Battle of the Slices will bring the best of the best into the ring, from squares to pie-cuts, thick to thin, for fans to decide the winners in four delicious categories:
- St. Louis-Style
In partnership with Entercom, Battle of the Slices will also feature some of St. Louis' best music, shopping and interactive guest experiences.With a nod the original combination of Bud and pizza, there will be a wide selection of Anheuser-Busch products to drink. So sip beer, sample pizza and vote for your favorite to crown the 2018 Battle of the Slices winners!
VIP Happy Hour
VIP tickets include a pre-event happy hour starting at 6pm. Receive two complimentary beverages from Bud Select family of product and be the first in line to start sampling at 6:30pm.
In the Ring: St. Louis-Style
- 1764 Public House
- At 1764 Public House, the St. Louis-style pizzas combine fresh, locally sourced ingredients with a gooey Provel-mozzarella blend on top of the crisp, buttery crust that St. Louisans know and love. Along with The Brick Maker, best-sellers include classics like pepperoni-cheese, This One’s For Yogi and Margherita.
- In the ring: The Brick Maker with sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, red onion and a Provel-mozzarella blend
- Battle cry: 1764’s pizza is an elevated twist on a local favorite.
- The Pasta House Co.
- The pizza at The Pasta House Co. is classic St. Louis-style: thin crust, sweet house sauce, loaded with mozzarella and provolone, and cut in those distinct squares – just the way St. Louisans like to eat their pizza.
- In the ring: The Italian, Volcano Buffalo Chicken, Roasted Veggie
- Battle cry: Pasta House is proud of its pizza and even more proud to carry on the St. Louis tradition of using only the finest toppings and house specialty items.
- Pickleman’s pizza is served on a 12-inch thin, crispy crust that’s cut into squares in the traditional St. Louis style. Each is topped with generous portions of fresh ingredients – from Asiago Chicken to pepperoni to Buffalo – that you won’t soon forget.
- In the ring: Asiago Chicken with Asiago-Caesar dressing, mozzarella, grilled chicken and crumbled bacon
- Battle cry: Apart from Pickleman’s being locally owned and operated, the Asiago Chicken is a one-of-a-kind pizza you’ll be telling all your friends about.
In the Ring: Frozen
- Dan O's Pizza
- Dan O’s Pizza is locally owned and operated by longtime friends Dan Moran and Benny Hatfield. After dreaming up the idea in 2006 and opening for frozen-pizza fundraising in 2013, the takeout pizzeria opened in August 2017. Dan O’s provides fresh takeout along with frozen options like Three Meat and Buffalo chicken.
- In the ring: Three Meat with a St. Louis-style cheese blend, spicy pepperoni, housemade sausage and smoky bacon
- Battle cry: Dan O’s slogan sums it up: Best Flippin’ Pizza Around!
- Dogtown Pizza
- Dogtown Pizza takes pride in being family-owned and -operated. The from-scratch pizzas are handmade using local ingredients the day they arrive. With more than 11 varieties of St. Louis-style thin-crust pizzas, the top sellers are pepperoni, 4 Meat and tomato-basil-garlic.
- In the ring: 4 Meat with salsiccia, hickory-smoked bacon, pepperoni and ham
- Battle cry: Local, handmade, family-operated and topped with the most ingredients in the frozen-pizza industry.
- Gallagher Bros Pizza
- Gallagher Bros. Frozen Pizzas are handmade by skilled pizza-makers who take its sweet sauce, tangy cheese and custom spices and combine them with the highest quality and locally sourced meats and vegetables. Every bite of every piece has the perfect toppings portions, from garlic-herb-five cheese to sweet veggie-balsamic to the Suzie Q.
- In the ring: Suzie Q with sausage, pepperoni and banana peppers
- Battle cry: Frozen pizza for people who don’t eat frozen pizza.
- Lena's Pizza
- Lena’s Pizza is the only frozen pizza topped with 100-percent real Provel cheese – a must for truly authentic St. Louis-style pizza. Each is locally made by hand with from-scratch shells, sauce and fresh, never-precooked sausage, along with other high-quality toppings like whole strips of bacon and fresh-cut veggies
- In the ring: Four Meat with sausage, Canadian bacon, pepperoni, bacon strips and Provel cheese
- Battle cry: A true St. Louis style must have two things: a crispy-thin crust and Provel cheese. Lena’s is the only frozen pizza to give you both.
In the Ring: Restaurant-Style
- Crushed Red
- The freshest premium toppings, tasty whole-grain crust and organic tomato sauce are at the heart of every Crushed Red pizza. Choose an Urban Crafted pizza – like the Roasted Chicken Gorgonzola, The BLT or Shrimp & Artichoke – or build your own from the extensive toppings menu.
- In the ring: Sedona Short Rib with braised short rib, bacon, sweet Peruvian pepper drops, Gouda and ancho-cream sauce
- Battle cry: The Sedona Short Rib is flavorful fusion at its best: a little Italian, a little Southwest and a whole lot of satisfying flavors.
- Firecracker Pizza & Beer
- The new American-style pan pizza at Firecracker Pizza & Beer has a medium-thin crust with firecracker-red chile oil brushed to the edges. It’s crisp and sturdy enough to hold the globally inspired premium toppings without flopping or drooping.
- In the ring: Pepperonius Monster with king-size pepperoni, red onion, mozzarella and lavender
- Battle cry: Firecracker believes in making damn fine pizza, with exciting, unexpected and from-scratch ingredients, but without the pretense.
- Hugo's Pizzeria
- Hugo’s Pizzeria serves up unique Roman-style pizzas baked fresh using locally sourced ingredients, housemade dough aged 18 to 24 hours, plus several kinds of pepperonis made in-house.
- In the ring: Hugo’s Best made with Hugo sauce, pepperoni, bacon, mozzarella blend and Baileys’ Micro Farm herbs
- Battle cry: All of the toppings on Hugo’s Best are made in-house, from the pepperoni down to the herbs harvested from its own garden and Baileys’ Micro Farm.
- Racanelli's New York Pizzeria
- Racanelli’s New York Pizzeria is a locally founded, owned and operated company since 1994 that specializes in New York-style pizzas. Every pizza is handmade and brick oven-baked to perfection using 100-percent whole-milk mozzarella, fresh dough and quality ingredients prepared fresh every day at every location across the metro.
- In the ring: tomato-basil (garden-ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella) and cheese
- Battle cry: It’s not just a piece of pizza; it’s a masterpiece.
In the Ring: Wood-Fired
- Baked Woodfire Pizza Joint
- Baked Woodfire Pizza Joint is a new pizzeria in Ferguson specializing in wood-fired pizzas. The nontraditional offerings include Loaded Potato and Pineapple Express.
- In the ring: apple-pear-prosciutto with thinly sliced Fuji apples, Bartlett pears, prosciutto, extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, Gruyère, Feta, arugula and a balsamic reduction
- Battle cry: Baked thinks outside the box with flavor combinations you typically wouldn’t associate with pizza.
- Peel Wood Fired Pizza
- Peel Wood Fired Pizza is a local, chef-owned business. It started with the idea of using wood-fired ovens to craft delicious pizzas, wings and more: Maple-bourbon pork, Buffalo or pepperoni are must-try offerings.
- In the ring: maple-bourbon pork with bacon, mozzarella, Cheddar, Roma tomatoes and maple-bourbon glaze
- Battle cry: You can really taste the difference at Peel when all menu and recipe decisions are made by chefs who are passionate about the food and taste experience.
- Pizzeria Tivoli
- The wood-burning brick stove at Pizzeria Tivoli heats things up – specifically, to 600°F. Its hand-tossed Neapolitan-style pies are baked using fresh dough, sauce from family recipes and fresh toppings in unique applications. Try the Tivoli Pizza with pesto, artichoke hearts, grilled chicken, broccoli, roasted red peppers and mozzarella.
- In the ring: variety of Neapolitan-style pizzas
- Battle cry: From gyro to fungi, Buffalo blue cheese to Margherita, all of Pizzeria Tivoli’s variety of wood-fired Neapolitan pies are baked to perfection.
- TwinOak Pizza & BBQ
- Every pizza at TwinOak Wood-Fired Pizza & BBQ begins with its signature hand-stretched, Neapolitan-style crust. Combining that with the freshest ingredients available and unique homemade sauces, the pizzas come to life in its 900°F Missouri oak wood-burning oven.
- In the ring: Meatier-ologist, Vege Out and Grand Slam
- Battle cry: TwinOak pizza is simply prepared yet delicious and always made from the heart.
A Slice of the Pie
We're partnering with the St. Louis Area Foodbank to give back $2 of each ticket to the charity, which it can turn into eight meals for our neighbors in need. The Foodbank has been serving the community since 1975 and feeds nearly 400,000 people each year. Interested in helping create a stronger, healthier bistate region where nobody goes to bed hungry? Head to stlfoodbank.org.
St. Louis Area Foodbank, 70 Corporate Woods Drive, Bridgeton, Missouri, 314.292.6262, stlfoodbank.org