White Russian Coffee
Serves | 5 to 7 |
- 1½ cups strong coffee (Chemex-brewed preferred)
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp juniper berries, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cascara
- 1⅔ cups water, plus more for diluting
- 2 cups half-and-half (to serve)
- freshly grated nutmeg (for garnish)
| Preparation – Virgin Kahlúa | In a saucepot over medium heat, stir all ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
| Preparation – “Gin” Tea | In a grinder, coarsely grind juniper berries and coriander seeds. In a saucepot over high heat, combine ground spices, lemon zest, cascara and 1⅔ cups water; heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and strain. Dilute 1 part tea with 3 parts water.
| To Serve | In a pitcher, combine equal parts virgin Kahlúa and half-and-half (about 2 cups each) with roughly 4 cups tea. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Pour into 6- or 8-ounce glass, and garnish with juniper berries and nutmeg. Serve chilled.