Serves | 4 to 6 |
Chutney Powder (Yields about 3 cups)
- 1 cup channa dal
- ½ cup urad dal
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil
- 20 dried byadji chiles, stems removed and seeded
- 60 fresh curry leaves
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp seedless tamarind
Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 3- to 4-lb whole chicken
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, scrubbed, halved and sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 lb carrots, sliced into 1-inch coins
- 1 medium turnip, peeled, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 8 oz collard greens, thick stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced into ½-inch slices
- ¹⁄₃ cup rice vinegar
- 1 13½-oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 6 Tbsp chutney powder, divided (recipe below)
| Preparation – Chutney Powder | In a skillet over medium-high heat, add dals and toast until fragrant, stirring constantly, 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add next 3 ingredients to skillet and toast until fragrant; add to dal. Heat oil in skillet, add chiles and curry leaves and cook 3 minutes. Add to dal mixture. Toast coconut in skillet until golden.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse dal mixture with coconut and remaining ingredients. Transfer to a spice grinder; pulse until powdered. Set aside.
| Preparation – Chicken and Vegetables | Preheat oven to 375°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
In a Dutch oven with a lid over medium-high heat, melt butter. Brown chicken on all sides; transfer to a plate. Add next 6 ingredients to Dutch oven; cook 10 minutes, stirring. Stir in vinegar, coconut milk and 5 tablespoons chutney powder. Set chicken, breast-side up, in vegetables; add remaining powder. Cover, transfer to oven and cook 45 minutes; uncover and cook 30 to 45 minutes more. Serve warm.