Put corn to good use while it’s fresh from the field this summer with this light, flavorful riff on Mexican street corn.
ALL EARS. Buying corn in the husks and refrigerating it will keep it sweet and moist. Plan to use the corn the same day you buy it or within two days for maximum flavor.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
Serves | 4 to 6 |
- juice of 4 limes
- zest of 2 limes (reserve limes and slice into wheels or wedges)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp chipotle chile powder
- ¾ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 4-oz cans diced mild green chiles
- 12 ears fresh yellow corn, husks and silks removed
- 1½ cups crumbled cotija cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
| Preparation | In a large bowl, combine first 10 ingredients and refrigerate.
Preheat grill or grill pan over medium heat. Grill corn in batches, 4 to 5 inches above hot coals or in a grill pan, using tongs to turn frequently. Grill corn on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to the touch; remove kernels from the cob using a serrated or very sharp chef’s knife. Add corn and cotija cheese to chilled mixture and toss until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with lime wheels or wedges.
GET HANDS-ON! Join Feast Magazine and Schnucks Cooks Cooking School at 6pm on Wed., July 17, at the Des Peres, Missouri, location to make the dishes on this month’s menu. Tickets are just $45 for a night of cooking, dining and wine. RSVP nourish.schnucks.com/web-ext/cooking-school or call 314.909.1704.
MAKE THE MEAL:
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Pineapple and Cucumber Guacamole
- Taco Trio: Fish Tacos, Chicken Tacos and Avocado Tacos
LEARN MORE: In this class, you’ll learn how to safely and easily remove corn from the cob using a Bundt pan. You’ll also learn how to deep-fry churros at home.