Take the classic picnic sandwich to the next level with sugary candied bacon and creamy pimento cheese.
BPT: Candied Bacon, Pimento Cheese and Beefsteak Tomato Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy Kelly Spencer of The Social Affair Catering & Event Design in St. Louis
Yields | 8 sandwiches |
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- ½ cup tightly packaged brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
Pimento Cheese (Yields 8 ounces)
- 1 cup softened cream cheese
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1¼ lb sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- pimento cheese (recipe below)
- 1 loaf ciabatta, toasted and cut into 16 slices
- candied bacon (recipe below)
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 16 thin slices
| Preparation – Candied Bacon | Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
Arrange bacon on sheet pan in a single layer and coat with brown sugar, patting down into meat. Sprinkle with black pepper and bake until crisp, about 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer bacon to a wire rack to cool. Set aside.
| Preparation – Pimento Cheese | In a large bowl, add softened cream cheese. Using a hand mixer, blend cream cheese until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients except Cheddar cheese and blend until well combined. Fold in shredded Cheddar cheese and stir using a spatula. For a smoother consistency, combine Cheddar cheese using a hand mixer for a few seconds.
| Assembly | Spread pimento cheese over 8 slices of ciabatta and top each with 1 slice of candied bacon and 1 tomato slice. Top with remaining ciabatta slices. Wrap in plastic wrap and parchment paper.