These days mushrooms are available almost year-round, but there’s still something gratifying about digging into a warm mushroom dish when the heat breaks and the leaves begin to fall. This salad in particular is rounded out with a nice crunch from the crispy bacon sprinkled over top. Pro tip: Even the largest mainstream markets have a somewhat limited selection of mushrooms, and most supplement their offerings with dried varieties. For more fresh options and some unusual, harder-to-find types of mushrooms, head to your nearest international market to see what you can dig up.
Warm Mushroom & Bacon Salad
Serves | 6 to 8 |
- 1½ Tbsp minced shallot
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed and seeded, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
Warm Mushroom and Bacon Salad
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms (shiitake, porcini, portabella or others), cleaned, stems removed as needed, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- jalapeño dressing, divided (recipe below)
- 1 small head radicchio, core removed, sliced in ribbons crosswise from top
- 1 small head escarole, thick stems removed from bottom, leaves roughly chopped
- 6 oz thick-cut bacon, crisped and roughly chopped
- 3 oz Parmesan, peeled and sliced in matchsticks
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
| Preparation – Jalapeño Dressing | Stir together shallot, jalapeño, garlic and vinegar in a small bowl; let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in mustard and olive oil until blended; set aside.
| Preparation - Warm Mushroom and Bacon Salad | Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add thyme and mushrooms, stirring to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon 3 Tbsp jalapeño dressing over mushrooms, tossing to coat; hold in pan until ready to use.
While mushrooms are cooking, toss radicchio and escarole together with remaining dressing until coated; season to taste. Divide greens onto plates or lay out on a platter to serve family-style. Divide mushroom mixture, piled in center; top with bacon, Parmesan and parsley. Check seasoning and serve.