○ Access to public transport within a ¼-mile radius.
○ Reusing a building in a densely populated area vs. less populated reduces vehicle miles traveled and reduces construction material and waste.
○ Indoor bike parking and changing area for employees and bike parking on the street.
○ Reducing the baseline water consumption of the building by a minimum of 20 percent. (They are hoping for more as design tweaks are finalized.)
○ Low-flow fixtures in the bathrooms.
Energy and Atmosphere
○ Minimizing known pollutants in the HVAC system by making sure that refrigeration are low-polluting and don’t use HCFCs.
○ Use of Energy Saver fixtures.
○ Installation of a 75-kilowatt photovoltaic (solar) system on the roof to offset energy costs.
○ Reduced energy through natural light where possible, using low energy light fixtures, kitchen equipment and lighting controls.
Materials and Resources
○ Divert 75 percent of construction waste into recycling instead of landfill.
○ Using green interior finishes/furniture – regionally made, regionally sourced interiors.
○ On-site recycling and composting.
○ Selling spent grain for agricultural use.
Indoor Environmental Quality
○ Building will always be smoke-free.
○ Low-VOC (volatile organic compounds) emitting paints, sealants and coatings for better air quality.
○ Daylight and views for seated spaces.