Side: Jalapeño Bacon-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples
This simple side dish is brought to life by the unique flavor of the jalapeño bacon; the intensity and smokiness permeate the other ingredients, but never overpowers them.
Serves | 8 |
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz Naked Bacon jalapeño bacon, in ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup finely diced shallots
- 1½ lbs Brussels sprouts, stems removed, halved and yellow outer leaves discarded
- 2 medium Fuji apples, cored, quartered and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
| Preparation | Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until just crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside to drain, leaving the fat in the skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add shallots and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and apples and stir thoroughly to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer entire mixture to lipped sheet pan and roast in the oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until apples are tender but not mushy, and sprouts are dark and toasted. Check seasoning, and season again to taste.
Place in a large, shallow bowl or divide onto plates and serve immediately.