Cumin, Apricot and Grapefruit Braised Winter Vegetables
This tasty vegetable dish is thoroughly infused with the bright flavors of apricot and grapefruit, which contrast nicely with earthy cumin essence and saffron. It's an unexpected combination but an irresistible one.
Serves | 6 |
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced in large chunks
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced in large chunks
- 2 large parsnips, cored and sliced into 2-inch sticks
- 8 small carrots, approximately ½-inch thick by 8 inches long
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, approximately 1 large lemon
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 pinches saffron
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 drops Cumin Aftelier Chef's Essence
- 8 drops fenugreek essential oil
- 8 drops grapefruit peel essential oil
- 6 drops bay leaf essential oil
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
| Preparation – Vegetables | Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan over high heat and sear onion and fennel on both sides. Remove and place in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Add remaining oil to pan and sear parsnips on both sides. Place parsnips in baking dish. Place carrots in a steamer and steam for 4 minutes. Drain and add to baking dish.
| Preparation – Broth | In a mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes to coat veggies with broth and cook them evenly. Broth will reduce to a glaze upon completion, and all veggies should be tender and cooked through.
| To Serve | Top generously with chopped parsley and serve immediately.