Serves | 6 to 8 |
- 8 oz good-quality dark chocolate
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 7 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 Tbsp dark rum or port
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ lb biscotti or tea biscuits, coarsely chopped*
- 8-oz bag Grandma’s Nuts original mix
- powdered sugar, for dusting
| Preparation | Finely chop the dark chocolate and melt in a double boiler or in the microwave at half power until smooth. Using a mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar on high speed until foamy. Add the butter and mix again until well-blended. Set the mixer to low and, one at a time, slowly add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, rum and vanilla until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Stir in the coarsely chopped biscotti and Grandma’s Nuts mix until well-combined. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm. Sift powdered sugar onto the work surface and create a log the size of your preference. Sift more powdered sugar to coat the entire surface of the “salami” and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, securing each end with a knot. Wrap in butcher’s paper and secure with butcher’s knots as you would real salami. Refrigerate overnight.
| To Serve | Slice the chocolate salami on a cutting board and serve with your choice of seasonal fresh fruits and crusty bread. Any leftovers will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for 1 week.
* Coffaro’s all-natural Almond with Cherries biscotti is recommended.