Complete with three levels, including a mezzanine dining area, Dierbergs will open its all-new Des Peres market with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Tue., July 31, at 8:35am.
The store opens at 9am, and regular store hours are 6am to midnight Monday to Saturday and 6am to 11pm Sunday. The 75,000-square-foot supermarket is located on the south side of Manchester Road, one mile east of Interstate 270.
The new market will feature covered parking, with space for 175 cars. Forty percent of the garage’s perimeter is exposed to natural light, and illustrations and drawings by local artists decorate the outer walls and interior columns.
Two escalators take customers to and from the main level of the store while a third cart-dedicated conveyor—the “cartolator”—moves customer carts from the main level to the garage. The cart conveyor presented a unique supermarket challenge.
“Prior to our store, cartolators could not accommodate a bottom cart shelf for large packages,” says Dierbergs president Greg Dierberg. “That’s a huge inconvenience for customers. We’re now the first supermarket in the U.S. that has a bottom shelf cart that can be used on a conveyor.”
Dierbergs officials say the market at Des Peres “is the first store in the metro area to have what the Metropolitan Sewer District calls a rainwater harvesting tank, a modern moniker for a cistern.” Dierbergs’ cistern is 67-feet long, 10-feet wide, 10-feet deep and holds 45,000 gallons of water. Rainwater collected from the roof will be used to irrigate grass and landscaping elements on the property, a natural purification method, officials say.
Other new features highlighted in a press release from Dierbergs include:
- Three French Hens: The popular Wildwood boutique, known for European antiques, home furnishings and accessories, is opening a store in a shared space with Dierbergs Florist and Gifts, the No. 1 FTD florist in Missouri.
- Cheese Monger: A full-time cheese monger oversees an expanded domestic and international cheese section.
- Dry-Aged Beef: The store will offer premium steak cuts of dry-aged beef, in addition to its all-natural line of USDA Choice, Midwest Raised Angus Beef.
- St. Luke’s Convenient Care: An in-store facility staffed by nurse practitioners to treat minor illnesses and injuries, open seven days a week.
- Wellness Programs: A dedicated on-site Wellness Team, comprising representatives from Dierbergs Pharmacy, St. Luke’s Convenient Care, Dierbergs Whole Life Department and Dierbergs Culinary Event Center. The group is charged with a variety of wellness initiatives, from healthy-eating programs to culinary assistance for individuals with specific dietary restrictions.
- Remote Pharmacy Drive-Thru: Set up in the covered parking area, the drive-thru uses video cameras for consultation with the Dierbergs pharmacists.
- The Evening Tap: Wine by the glass and bottled beer sold from 5:30 to 8:30pm daily on the mezzanine.
- Try a wine before you buy the bottle: Wine-tasting dispensers provide an opportunity to purchase 1-oz, 2-oz and 4-oz samples. At any one time, the in-store sampling list comprises 28 wines.
- Live Music: Mezzanine-level entertainment on Friday and Saturday evenings from 5:30 to 8:30pm.
Dine-In or Carryout Opportunities:
- Bento Asian Grill and Sushi Bar: Family owned, locally owned Bento Sushi, Dierbergs’ company-wide sushi chefs, expanded its operations to include a variety of Asian dishes takeout or enjoyment on the Mezzanine-level dining area.
- Paninis and Pizzettas: Freshly baked in Dierbergs’ Turbo Chef ovens for preparation in 3 to 5 minutes.
- Bob’s BBQ: Dierbergs Des Peres store is the latest location for apple- and cherry-wood smoked barbecue, smoked fresh daily in a smoker on the lot.
- Hand-tossed salads and baked subs round out an ever-expanding kitchen menu.
- European Bakery: Dierbergs' third, this newest bakery is staffed by Dierbergs European pastry chef Katrina Meredith.
- Chris Cakes Pancakes: All you can eat pancakes on Saturday mornings from 7 to 11am, featuring the flippin’ fun of Chris Cakes, beginning Sat., Aug. 11.
The press release also provided details on the Dierbergs Culinary Event Center:
- The facility will be managed by Culinary Event Center chef Marianne Moore, who comes to Dierbergs from the Four Seasons Hotel, St. Louis.
- The Culinary Event Center houses Dierbergs sixth cooking school, with counter and table seating to accommodate 34 participants.
- Multiple LCD screens for up-close cooking demonstration viewing for all class participants.
- Wi-Fi and interactive capabilities for Skype wine tastings and cooking demonstrations with nationally recognized chefs.
- The facility can host private events, birthday parties, wedding and baby showers, corporate meeting and team-building cooking activities.
- Facility will serve as working set kitchen for Dierbergs' cooking shows and social media-based recipe programs.
Dierbergs Markets, multiple locations, dierbergs.com